Saturday, May 06, 2006

IV Inserted

Before giving your son the same name as you, your father, and your father's father, your father's father's father, and the father of your father's father's father, consider that the level of Latin instruction in most schools is at an appallingly low level. The two or three extra letters on the end of your son's name will be a source of confusion for the Department of Motor Vehicles, the IRS, banks, and especially junk mailers.

For example, I know a bank wants to buy my mortgage if I get a letter addressed to Vi Surname. I'm actually considering naming a son Vitus out of affection for the dozen or so letters I get a month addressed to this non-existent person. For those who find this sort of thing interesting, Saint Vitus is the patron saint of dancers, young people, and dogs. There is a disease named after him, Saint Vitus's Dance, or Sydenham's Chorea, which is characterized by fits of dancing mania.

At one point, a bank issued me a credit card in my grandfather's name, probably because no one expects a VI. This wasn't a problem for me while I had a driver's license listed in my grandfather's name as well. A Y2K type glitch in the surname section of the DMV computer
would only allow Roman numerals up to IV. After losing the IV driver's license, a creative DMV worker managed to get my new license printed with 6th, which was possible where VI was not.

Here, rudimentary latin began to work against me. Intelligent checkout clerks began to question why Surname 6th was trying to buy things with Surname IV's credit card. This usually happened at book stores, movie rental places, and liquor stores, you know, where all the smart people work. So, as I single 22 year old living with my parents, I bought a lot of music. My CD collection as of December 2002 is impeccably cool.

Marriage fixed the problem, since I no longer bought music, books, or liquor and the lovely EMBC began renting movies for us. Did you see 13 going on 30? So cute!

So there won't likely be a VII. "Vii!?," you might say if you were a german movie character pushed off a cliff by a close friend. Mostly because I don't want him to get his brother Vitus's mail.

Now if you'll excuse me, I feel like a fit of dancing mania is coming.

Tapping it out like wild-eyed Fred Astaire,

VI

5 Comments:

Blogger Mr. G. Z. T. said...

I don't know you, but I was wandering around and stumbled on this web-log. I regret to inform you that, unless the original is still living, you are not truly a VI. Nor are the roman numerals a proper part of your name, esp. not on legal documentation. Consult Miss Manners for details. The oldest living member of the line is Sr., then the typical numbering follows.

12:21 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Mr. Thompson...

How does that work with Kings and what-not? It seems that he must truly be a VI, but what do I know... he's the lawyer.

Anyway, JC, I'm sad there won't be a VII. And I truly hope there is a Vitus, although I can't see E going for it.

12:26 AM  
Blogger Mr. G. Z. T. said...

Though I should note that, of course, Sr. is not added to the name of the eldest, the designation was only named here for common reference.

12:27 AM  
Blogger Mr. G. Z. T. said...

Well, of course, royalty is different.

12:31 AM  
Blogger jccvi said...

mr. thompson and miss manners-

I have dispatched my death squads. JCCI will be at the vanguard, with II-V at his flanks. Any sleep you can attain between now and midnight will be well worth your while.

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home